Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Adding integers ( > 8 bytes) to an inet

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'd say this is just a missing feature.

I think the whole thing is a bit of a crock; adding integers to inet
addresses doesn't make a lot of sense logically.  Perhaps what is
really wanted is functions on CIDR net identifiers, for instance

	first_address('10/8') = 10.0.0.0
	last_address('10/8') = 10.255.255.255
	prior_address('10/8') = 9.255.255.255
	next_address('10/8') = 11.0.0.0

which would have obvious extensions to IPv6 without having to bring
numerics into the picture.

What are the actual applications for adding integers to inet addresses?
The one Kristian mentions seems to be covered by next_address(), but
are there others?

			regards, tom lane