Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to store data on an external drive

On 2009-09-08, Jia Chen <chen.1002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As a beginner of PostgreSQL, I installed PostgreSQL 8.3.7 on Ubuntu 9.04
> by using sudo apt-get install.
>
> Now, I want to store PostgreSQL data on an external drive because I work
> both on my office machine and on my home machine a lot.  This way, I can
> always bring my external drive to either location and work on data
> stored on the drive.

start again and install from the source.
the ubuntu packge spreads the components of the postgres database about
putting some in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /etc/postgres, /var/log, /var/lib and /etc

you should install them all onto the removable drive instead.
it's not just the table data that is needed need for the database to work.