Search Postgresql Archives

Re: view table pkey values

Hi Ray,

On Aug 24, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

On 24/08/2009 17:31, Scott Frankel wrote:
The insert that yields the error seems innocuous enough:

INSERT INTO foo (color_id, ordinal, person_id) VALUES (1, 1019, 2);

It seems as if there's a sequence (foo_pkey) that's got some weird
values in it.  The table itself looks like this:

CREATE TABLE foo (
   foo_id    SERIAL        PRIMARY KEY,

If the sequence's current value is lower than the highest foo_id in the
table, then you'll get collisions

If I understand how tables are managed internally, there are 2 sequences: my explicit foo_id and the internal sequence foo_foo_id_seq:

 	public | foo_foo_id_seq | sequence | pguser |

It's this internal sequence that must be involved in the collision, since I'm not specifying an insert value for my explicit foo_id column.

You can fix that by using setval() to set the sequence value to
a number higher than any currently in foo_id.

Aha! So the explicit foo_id value cannot exceed the internal sequence, foo_foo_id_seq value? They should actually be the same, unless there've been insert errors, right?

Is there a command that lists the values for the internal, foo_foo_id_seq, sequence?

Thanks!
Scott

Ray.