Search Postgresql Archives

Re: DB Design Advice

stoneg64@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey all,

My company is designing a database in which we intend to store data for several customers. We are trying to decide if,

A: we want to store all customer data in one set of tables with customer_id fields separating the data or,
B:  storing each customers data in a separate schema.

I'd like to get some opinions on the pros and cons of these methods concerning maintainability, scalability, and performance.

IMHO, that would depend on what this data is and how you use it. Is this your company's data on your business with these customers, like AR/AP transactions and so forth? Or is this data you're storing for these companies, data thats really 'theirs', and that won't be used together, such as their websites that you host ?