Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "Could not open relation XXX: No such file or directory"

Yaroslav Tykhiy wrote:
By the way, `chkdsk' in Windows or `fsck' in Unix can, in a way, be a _source_ of file loss if the file metadata got damaged badly, e.g., by a system crash, and the file node has to be cleared. So I've always been curious if there is a way to retrieve surviving records from a PostgreSQL database damaged by file loss. Do you know any? (Of course, the only true solution is to have been making backups beforehand, but...)

The Ubuntu Linux site has this page on data recovery (also applicable to other Linux flavors):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

I assume that a database file, because of its structure, is harder to recover after it becomes corrupt than, say, an XML file. But any port in a storm, right?

Thanks!

Yar