Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 2 versions of Postgres on the same machine

wstrzalka wrote:
Hi

   This is probably more like linux question but strictly related to
PG so I hope somebody can help me.

   I need to have 8.3 & 8.4 installed on the same machine (for
pg_migrator). As I'm not Linux guru I used to install/update Postgres
using yum from PGDG.

   Is there any clever way to install parallel version of PG using yum
or other way (without compilation please :D )

not easily, the RPMs that yum fetches have the library paths hard coded.

building postgres from source is actually very easy. just follow the README and/or INSTALL in the source tarball. build it for an alternate root path, like /usr/local/pgsql84/... (you'd specify this as an option on the ./configure step), then after its built and installed to that alternate path, and you've run initdb, you would edit postgresql.conf in this alternate ./data directory to change the port to a different port, such as 5433 instead of the default 5432.