Search Postgresql Archives

Index utilization

I am working on cleaning up a bloated database. I have been reindexing etc. There appear to be a good number of never to almost never used indexes. I am looking in pg_stat_user_indexes which yields some questions.

Assuming that the reset stats on server is not turned on how old are stats?

Are there any good open source tools to monitor how often indexes are used?

I was basically thinking of writing end of day numbers for the stats in a table so I can plot index usage over a few months to see what is getting used. Does anybody see a problem with that?

Thanks in advance