Search Postgresql Archives

What happens when syslog gets blocked?

We recently had a problem with a database where the /var filesystem got corrupted. This appears to have seriously impacted the ability of STDERR from Postgres to get put out to disk, which ended up blocking backends.

Because of this we want to switch from using STDERR to using syslog, but I'm not sure if syslog() can end up blocking or not. I know that (by default) syslog uses UDP when logging to an external syslog, but what happens if you're using the local syslog? Is it still UDP or some other mechanism that could potentially block the backends?

Also, I think we should either warn users about STDERR (and presumably the CVS logging) or change things so that something that breaks logging doesn't block backends.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx