Search Postgresql Archives

Re: LISTEN ON table WHERE attr1 LIKE '%abc%';

Eugen Dueck wrote:

Now I was hoping for a feature that goes even further than the ones discussed and allows clients to listen on changes in the database that satisfy real WHERE clauses, if used on tables, but I could imagine that you can listen for all changes caused by any DDL or DML statement, including CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE.

The motivation behind this request is, that I see lots of processes, connected to databases, that provide features like the one requested (they can only report changes that are done by clients through these processes, they don't notice changes done to the database directly), on the abstraction level of "business objects". These processes are essentially caches, used by multiple clients.

So it would be nice to see the one feature I like about these caches added to Postgres, without having to resort to tricks that force me out of the (SQL) language, like rules/triggers.

One problem might be that a couple of connection methods (like I think JDBC) don't allow for asynchronous communication from database to clients, which is why clients (when I checked out the LISTEN feature in Postgres) have to poll for changes, but I think it should be possible and maybe there are already ways to connect to Postgres that allow this?

The tricky bits are (1) reliability, (2) payload size and (3) transactional semantics. You might find the pg-memcache project of some interest, since it's handling this for the memcached system.
  http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgmemcache/

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd