Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?

Guy Rouillier wrote:
Paul Taylor wrote:
I am testing the code that extracts information from a read only database. These are UNIT tests so only interested in getting the right results given a particular set of data, anything else is a distraction.

I don't understand your test environment. If all your code is doing is extracting info from a database, why would you want to have database management embedded in your test? Simply have a test database already configured and running, then run your JUnit tests against that existing database. That simple approach would obviously work across all platforms.

The only reason I can see for doing DDL in a unit test would be if the end product will be doing such DDL.

Firstly the database side is quite straightforward, these issues with triggers and locking just don't apply for what I am doing. Secondly this is an opensource project and to enable others to contribute easily it is much easier if they can download the code and run mvn package to compile and test. Once you start introducing external database setups, and database configs things can easily start going wrong, and you can't share databases when doing automated testing

Paul