Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can I add a super table to existing tables?

Jun Yang wrote:
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM, David Fetter <david@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:david@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 06:28:54PM -0700, Jun Yang wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to add some common columns to all of my tables.

    Your case may be very special, but offhand, this sounds like a very
    bad idea.  What task is it you're trying to accomplish?

Very simple. I have columns update_by and updated_at that I want every table to have but don't want to add them one by one.

for each $name in (select table_name from information_schema.tables where table_schema='public') do
   alter table $name add column update_by oid, updated_at timestamp;

(no, thats not SQL, its pseudo-code, do this in whatever sort of scripting or programming language you usually use)

like, in bash scripting...

for $name in (`psql -t -c "select table_name from information_schema.tables where table_schema='public'") do psql -c "alter table $name add column update_by integer references users(id), updated_at timestamp default now()"
      done;

of course, you'd be better off doing this in perl, python, php, or whatever you normally program in so that you weren't launching so many seperate connections.