Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Idle processes chewing up CPU?

Craig Ringer wrote:
Brendan Hill wrote:
Hi Tom,

Given it's on Windows, any suggestion for how I would get hold of this?
(Process Monitor tool perhaps?)

I think you can get stack traces from Process Monitor using "Tools -> Stack Summary". I find it a bit hard to interpret this data, though, and I'm not sure how useful it is for this sort of thing.

[ The following instructions may be put on the PostgreSQL wiki as advice for getting debugging details for runaway PostgreSQL processes on Windows if desired ]:

Actually, I've expanded on the instructions and done it. See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Windows

Accessible from "General Articles and Guides" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend".

It'd be rather helpful if others could fill in the equivalent for gdb on Linux/bsd/other unix as linked to here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend

--
Craig Ringer