Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have a couple of questions

Jennifer Trey wrote:
Thanks, I got help from a friend and got it to work. I think postgre was
running already but not sure what else he did.. i think that he altered the
password among other things.

It might well have been the case that the "postgres" user didn't have a password. Unix-based systems offer something called "ident" which may well have been the default.

How should one port the config file from windows to linux? I am guessing
replacing the .conf file is not an option :O .. the hard ware is the same,
should I just go through them one after one?

There shouldn't be that many differences - although, obviously any paths will be different.

If you feel like learning some command-line stuff you could try:
 dos2unix /path/to/windows/postgresql.conf

diff -b /path/to/windows/postgresql.conf /path/to/ubuntu/postgresql/conf | less

That's two commands, each on a single line. The first one gives you unix line-endings in the config file. The second finds differences (diff) and feeds them to a scrollable file-viewer ("less", which is a sequel to "more" because "less is more"). Use "q" to quit.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd