Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Password?

Ms swati chande schrieb:
    Hi,
I started everything again from scratch.
    1. Created a new user("Swati"), with limited/ restricted rights.
        Ensured that no password is set anywhere.
2. Ran initdb from the new user.
                c:\postgresql\bin>initdb -D c:\postgresql\data2
           It displayed the DEBUG: start transaction and commit
    transaction states etc.
           and ended with DEBUG: exit(0)
           A warning with the following statement was also displayed:
                 WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication foe local
    connections
                 you can change this by editing "pg_hba.conf" or by
    initdb -A.
3. After this I executed pg_ctl:
                 c:\postgresql\bin>pg_ctl -D c:\postgresql\data2 -l
    logfile start
                 got the the message:server starting
                 and the logfile contained the following:
                     LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: No error
                     HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on
    port 5432? If not,
                     wait a few seconds and retry.
                     WARNING:  could not create listen socket for
    "localhost"
                     FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets
                     LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: No error
                     HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on
    port 5432? If not, wait
                     a few seconds and retry.
                     WARNING:  could not create listen socket for
    "localhost"
                     FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets
4. To take care of the above issues,
             Made the following change in the postgresql.conf file:
                     listen_addresses = 'xxx.xxx.x.x' (my current ip)
             and in pg_hba:
                     host all all 'xxx.xxx.x.x' trust
5.Then issued
             c:\postgresql\bin>pg_ctl -D c:\postgresql\data2 -l logfile
    start
       again.
       Now got the following in logfile:
                     LOG: database system was shut down at 2009-07-08
    22:34:50
                     LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
                     LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
6.Opened another command window.
       Now when I write in the new window (or even in the same),
                     c:\postgresql\bin>createdb demo
       OR
                     c:\postgresql\bin>createuser -S -d -R svc
       I am prompted for password, I don't know what to enter here.
I think I am making some mistake in pg_hba.conf. Can't make out.
    Must be some brainless blunder some where.
Thanks a ton for sparing your time and bearing with me. Please guide. Regards
    Swati

Swati, sorry to say - but I got no solution as I cannot try to simulate this. I do not have a Windows machine ... hopefully someone else can help.

One thing anyway ... Step 4. seems to be correct. Actually, is there a user postgres on your system? Why not give postgres then a password (in the windows user administration) and use

c:\postgresql\bin>createuser -U postgres -S -d -R svc

But this is really vague ...

Cheers

Andy