Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [Re: Password?]

Steve Atkins schrieb:

On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Andreas Wenk wrote:

Jasen Betts schrieb:
On 2009-07-08, Andreas Wenk <a.wenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Serge Fonville schrieb:
*argh* - more detailed to avoid confusion. The auth method 'password' in pg_hba.conf means, that you will be asked for a password for the user you try to create a db with. If no user is given (with createdb -U [username]),
this user is postgres ...
Wasn't it that it uses the currently logged on user is used if no user
is specified?
correct - so this will be postgres because other users are not allowed to use these
programs ...

That's not true.

you are right!Sorry for that mistake.

/var/lib/postgresql/8.4/bin$ ./createdb test -p 5433
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "duke" does not exist

$ sudo su postgres
postgres@duke-linux:~/8.4/bin$ ./createdb test -p 5433
postgres@duke-linux:~/8.4/bin$

auth method in pg_hba.conf is trust in this case.
if it's "trust" any user can do
~postgres/8.4/bin/createdb -U postgres -p 5433 test

nope! what you did is calling createdb as system user postgres (I believe because of the ~ sign at the beginning) *and* giving the option -U postgres. That works for sure and you even don't need -U postgres since you are allready postgres. But leave -U postgres away as a system user not equal to postgres ... see my example above.

Nor is that.

Why not? I think it is but maybe I did not write it understandable enough. See my example.

Most of the postgresql client tools, including createdb, can be used by any operating system user to connect to the database as any database user.

If they are called with "-U foo" then they will attempt to connect to the database as database user "foo".

If they are not called with -U then they will usually attempt to connect to the database as the current operating system user (though that can be overridden with the PGUSER or PGSERVICE environment variables).

So if I'm logged in as steve and I do "createdb test" then I will try and connect to the database as database user steve and create the test database. If I do "createdb -U postgres test" I will try to connect to the database as database user "postgres" and create the test database.

this is exactly my example. I am the system user duke but there is no role duke in the db. The result is the error message. Using -U postgres is successful.

But in the case shown by Swati she is allready the system user postgres. So there's no need to put the option -U postgres. Correct? See my example.

Whether I'm prompted for a password or not depends on the settings in pg_hba.conf. Typically the postgres operating system user is allowed to connect to the database as the postgres database user without a password. Other OS user / database user combinations may or may not need a password depending on whether pg_hba.conf is set up to ask for one or not - how that is set up as default varies, but it's fairly common to require a password.

exactly. Thanks a lot for explaining that way better.

Cheers,
  Steve

Actually I think we both know how it works ;-)

Cheers

Andy