Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Normalize INTERVAL ouput format in a db driver

Further, little libpq question:

When using INTERVAL types, can I rely on PQfmod(), PQfsize() to determine
the exact definition of the INTERVAL precision?

=> what YEAR/MONTH/DAY/HOUR/MINUTE/SECOND fields where used to create the column.

I get different values for the type modifier, but how to interpret this?

Can someone point me to the documentation or source code where I can find
more details about this?

I found this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-exec.html#LIBPQ-EXEC-SELECT-INFO

But there are not much details in PQfmod() description...

Thanks!
Seb

Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:
Hi all,

Just testing 8.4rc2 INTERVALs...

According to the doc, INTERVAL output format is controlled by SET intervalstyle.

I am writing an interface/driver and need a solution to fetch/convert interval
values independently from the current format settings...

I could force my driver to implicitly set the intervalstyle to iso_8601, but I
would prefer to leave this in the hands of the programmer...

Imagine you have to write and ODBC interface/driver with libpq that must support
the SQLINTERVAL C structure, how would you deal with PostgreSQL intervals?

Is it possible to query the current intervalstyle?

Thanks!
Seb