Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrading Database: need to dump and restore?

Thank you for your response Grzegorx.  It is helping us a great deal to
understand the issues around backups.  Would any of the pg_xlog, pg_clog,
etc change for a table that has a stable structure and data?  That is, the
table undergoes several inserts and then it is never updated
""Grzegorz Jaskiewicz"" <gryzman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Woudl it be possible to keep the current postgresql version running in a
>> different port, install a new version of postgresql, and copy the data
>> from
>> one version to the other while both versions are running? This might give
>> us time to copy the tables and databases one at a time and reconfigure
>> the
>> database access for parts of the application until we complete the
>> migration
>> to the new version.
>
> Your best bet would be to install Slony-I. One of the main design goals
> for Slony is to allow interruption-free upgrades.

I don't think it is "easy", but will do if you need to synchronize
data before switching.

--
GJ