Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Change view definition - do not have to drop it

Now I need update view1 definition to
create or replace view view1 as select col1, col2 from new_table;

However, col1 in new_table is not bpchar. This gives me headache! There are tens of dependent views based on view1, so I cannot just drop view1 and recreate it.

How I can redefine view1 without dropping it and recreate it?

Cast the new column to bpchar?

If you want to change the output column type of the view, you have to
drop and recreate it.

Thank tom. Ok, I will not change view type, just keep bpchar for now.

Just a wish, if >=8.4 could allow change view type, that would be great!

--
Lu Ying