Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Suggested way of associating PG user metadata with record

David,

> A text column should be perfectly fine, and is the simplest
> implementation. But it does have a few possible issues that you need
> to keep in mind (besides things like users being removed). For
> instance, if PostgreSQL users are renamed (eg: ALTER USER name RENAME
> TO newname), then your text column becomes incorrect.

Yes, that had occurred to me. I think I'll go ahead and take the
obvious approach. On the whole, it seems very easy to implement and
maintain to me, and the alternative approach doesn't buy me any very
appreciable advantage.

Thanks,
Peter Geoghegan