Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?

At 10:20 20/05/2009, Richard Huxton wrote:
You'll probably need to give some details of how you intend to use it. One-off on large server hardware? Hundreds of copies deployed around the world on XP machines 5 years old?

Sorry, forgot about this point: It's just for concurrent accesses from a few Windows clients. Until now, SQLite was fine for my use, but now that more than one user may be making changes to the DB, I need something that supports this.

The main Windows problems we see on the mailing lists all revolve around (1) installation and (2) anti-virus. PostgreSQL runs as a "unprivileged" user in unix terms, and given the complex permissions model on Windows and the wide variety of setups on machines that's not always proved easy to get right.

I see that "Windows compatibility is available via the Cygwin framework. Native Windows compatibility is also available with version 8.0 and above": At this point, is installing the server still a headache?

The second problem is with anti-virus scanners locking the database files for a fraction of a second - that doesn't help the smooth running of any system. Once the scanner is told to ignore PG / switched off the problems go away, so it's easy enough to diagnose.

Thanks for the tip.