Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Cannot login for short period of time

Quoting "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx>:
Whether or not max relations is the root of the login hang problem,
you likely have gotten a fair bit of bloat in your database if your
setting was too low by a factor of 10 for so long.    You may need to
look at recovering lost space in bloated tables and / or indexes.  If
the bloat is real bad, look at dumping / restoring the database for a
fresh start.  It's a pain because it requires downtime, but it's often
faster than anything else for a badly bloated database.

This occurred just after a dump/restore, so things were nice and lean.

I have a suspicion this is related to bgwriter_* and checkpoint I/O. I've tweaked bgwriter_* and am awaiting an opportunity to test this again (busy reindexing all) and will report back. Interestingly, this behaviour didn't occur pre-partitioning. It seems the sheer number of additional relations tipped things over -- suddenly many defaults are just too low and I'm having to dig into arcane settings.

This thread seems to be related:

http://archives.postgresql.org//pgsql-admin/2008-10/msg00041.php

Cheers
Henry