Search Postgresql Archives

Transaction settings: nowait

Hi!

In FireBird the transactions have these settings:

SET TRANSACTION
   [NAME hostvar]
   [READ WRITE | READ ONLY]
   [ [ISOLATION LEVEL] { SNAPSHOT [TABLE STABILITY]
                         | READ COMMITTED [[NO] RECORD_VERSION] } ]
   [WAIT | NO WAIT]
   [LOCK TIMEOUT seconds]
And this is the important thing:

[WAIT | NO WAIT]
   [LOCK TIMEOUT seconds]
If set wait and timeout, the Firebird is waiting for the locked resource (record) for X seconds before it show deadlock error.

But when you set no wait, the deadlock error immediately shown by the server.

I wanna ask that if I want to avoid the full deadlocks.

For. example: I forget to make commit, or rollback on exception then all resources I used (updated) is locked.

If I use nowait, the clients immediately get the error message, and they are are not sitting deafly and blindly before the screen, waiting for what will happen.

So: have PGSQL same mechanism like nowait?

Thanks for your help:
    dd