Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Online Backups PostGre

On Friday 01 May 2009, PostGre Newbie <garbagegigo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I do not know of any open source backup utilities
> that can take snapshots of the filesystem. I get the overall concept
> of online backups but I am still unclear EXACTLY how the system works.
> I would be grateful if anyone could explain it to me. I have already
> gone through the postgresql document on online backups.

rsync or tar. One of the really nice things about PITR is that the base
backup source can change while it's being backed up and it still works.

PITR is really just as simple as it sounds. Call start_backup(). Copy the
PostgreSQL data directory. Call stop_backup(). Keep all the WAL logs
generated during and after the base backup.

--
Even a sixth-grader can figure out that you can’t borrow money to pay off
your debt