Search Postgresql Archives

Connecting to a postgreSQL database with windows CE over wi-fi; failing gracefully

Hello,

I'm developing a PostgreSQL application for Windows CE 5 on a PDT/ PDA
in C++/Qt, using Hiroshi Saito's libpq port for that platform. Since
the connection is established over wi-fi, and wi-fi connectivity is
often flaky, I feel that I have to "fail gracefully" to as great an
extent as possible. The following utility function,
VerifyDbConnection(), is called before every piece of database work:

void MainInterface::VerifyDbConnection()
{
    if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK)
    {
		for(;;)
		{
			PQreset(conn);
			if(PQstatus(conn) == CONNECTION_OK)
				return;

			QMessageBox msgbox_connection_lost;
			msgbox_connection_lost.setText("Connection to the database is lost,
and cannot be re-established. "
				"This may be due to the fact that you're too far away from the
Wi-fi access point, or because "
				"the backoffice computer is turned off, or it may be a low level
connectivity problem." );
			QPushButton* retry_button =
msgbox_connection_lost.addButton(tr("Reconnect"),
QMessageBox::ActionRole);
			QPushButton* exit_button =
msgbox_connection_lost.addButton(tr("Exit"), QMessageBox::ActionRole);
			msgbox_connection_lost.setWindowTitle("Connection lost");
			msgbox_connection_lost.exec();

			if(msgbox_connection_lost.clickedButton() == retry_button)
			{
				continue;
			}
			else if(msgbox_connection_lost.clickedButton() == exit_button)
			{
				exit(0);
				return;
			}
		}
    }

}

This seemed to work fine initially; I'd abruptly stop the database
server, and I would see a messagebox informing me of a connectivity
problem. Then, I'd start the server, click the retry button, and have
connectivity restored. However, when I walk out of range of the wi-fi
access point, which is the probable cause of losing connectivity in
the real world, my program crashes without displaying an error message
(I would expect to see a visual C++ runtime error message).

Can someone suggest a reason for this, or a workaround?

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan