Search Postgresql Archives

PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match

Greets,

I've recently completed a lengthy repartitioning exercise on half a dozen tables, restoring data, etc.

Something strange must have happened at some point (unrelated to the partitioning exercise - a crash related to file descriptors if I recall [not Pg's fault, mine]), because when I tried to modify a parent table (which is partitioned):

ALTER TABLE tab ADD COLUMN col INT DEFAULT 0;

I get:

PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match: block 35 links to 227 instead of expected 223 in index "pg_depend_depender_index"
        before or while processing the request.

-----

I also had some 'damage' in another partitioned table, which I resolved with REINDEX TABLE on all the partitions (it failed on INSERT with an error about block 0 read problem or something).

I then restarted Pg in single-user mode and reindexed all the system tables.

The aforementioned ALTER TABLE now completes without error. My question is: can I trust the state/stability of the DB now, or should I dump, re-initdb and restore from scratch? Only problem is the DB is large and takes 24*n hours to restore, so this is a last resort.

Thanks
Henry