Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Yet another "drop table vs delete" question

marek.patrzek@xxxxxxxxx escribió:
> I was wondering if dropping a table is more efficient in PostgreSQL
> 8.x in comparison to deleting it's content ?

"8.x" is a meaningless version number in Postgres.  Major versions (with
new features, etc) are labeled by the first two elements, so 8.0, 8.1,
and so on.

To actually answer your question,

> The thing is, postgresql may leave some invalid content behind in both
> situations. The real question is - which of those two options leaves
> less garbage to be vaccumed ? At this point I don't relay care about
> cost based efficiency but cutting down pg background work.

Try TRUNCATE.  That leaves the less garbage behind and takes the less
time.