Search Postgresql Archives

Re: tsearch2 dictionary for statute cites

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:

Oleg Bartunov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
of course, you can build tsquery youself, but once your parser can
recognize your very own token 'xxx', it'd be much better to have
mapping xxx -> dict_xxx, where dict_xxx knows all semantics.

I probably just need to have that "Aha!" moment, slap my forehead, and
move on; but I'm not quite understanding something.  The answer to
this question could be it: Can I use a different set of dictionaries
for creating the tsquery than I did for the tsvector?

Sure ! For example, you want to index all words, so your dictionaries
doesn't have stop word lists, but forbid people to search common words.
Or, if you want to search 'to be or not to be' you have to use dictionaries without stop words.

If so, I can have the dictionaries which generate the tsvector include
the appropriate leading tokens ('341', '341.15', '341.15(3)') and the
dictionaries for the tsquery can only generate the token based on
exactly what the user typed.  That would give me exactly what I want,
but somehow I have gotten the impression that the tsvector and tsquery
need to be generated using the same dictionary set.

I hope that's a mistaken impression?

yes.

-Kevin

	Regards,