Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Messed up dblink...

On Mar 21, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@xxxxxxx> writes:
Something seems to have messed up my dblink interface...
The only thing I can think that has changed the last week
was the installation of 8.3.7.

What version were you using beforehand? Are you *sure* nothing else in
your environment has changed?

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=mbp user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar')
levan-# ;
ERROR:  could not establish connection
DETAIL:  could not translate host name "mbp" to address: Temporary
failure in name resolution

... because it is really, really hard to see how that particular
failure could arise from anything except a broken DNS configuration.

Try "nslookup mbp" at the shell command prompt.  If that fails with
a similar error message, Postgres is not at fault.

			regards, tom lane

Ok,

I found that for all of my boxen that if I connected to 'server' that
I could not connect back via dblink to the original host!

The nslookup worked fine in every case...

'server' is also my local nameserver. I took a flier and rebooted
the rascal and everything started working again :)

Thanks for the hint.

Jerry