Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Uploading data to postgresql database

Subha Ramakrishnan wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted to know if there is a way to upload kml/gpx data directly to the DB.

By upload you mean...? You can always just insert the date opaque as
raw field or text or use large object (lo).

So far, I have been using shp2pgsql to upload data from shape files.
I don't want to convert it to shape and then upload it.

If someone knows of a way to upload without converting to shape file, please let me know.

If you plan to do anything with the data inside the database
(and your reference to PostGIS indicates that) you need to insert
it in a structured way as opposed to just "upload the data".

What is wrong with the conversion step you mention?

Regards
Tino