To: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:43 AM
Subject: Re:  Server Shutting Down

Bob Pawley wrote:
Hi

I've had the server shut itself down when attempting to connect, even with PG Admin.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that the pg server continues to run during a connection?

Bob

We're going to need a bit more to go on.

Is it the whole server or just your backend? Did it used to work? What changed? If you revert changes does it work again? Is the server otherwise healthy? Are you exceeding something (number of connections, open file limits or anything else you can think of) so that PG or the OS is killing the backend? Is the server on the same machine that you are connecting from? What OS? What do the PostgreSQL server logs say (increase logging verbosity if necessary)?

Cheers,
Steve