Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Format string for ISO-8601 date and time

	Sam Mason wrote:

  1) values of type "timestamp with time zone" are always converted
  to UTC (either using the timezone specified or using the session's
current "timezone" value) and then when they're sent back to the
value
  is then corrected to the session's timezone (or an explicit AT TIME
  ZONE can be specified).

  2) values of type "timestamp without time zone" (or alternatively
spelled just "timestamp") ignore any timezone specified and assume
the
  value is UTC.

I find it all quite confusing (and hence the above may be wrong) but
have the luxury of ignoring it as all as my users are in the same
timezone.  That said, it's a useful set of abstractions as lots of
people use them regularly.

Thanks, I was aware already that "timestamp with time zone" doesn't store any timezone contrary to what its name seems to imply. (Though when I first started with PG some years ago, I sure fell in that trap)

Best regards,

--
Daniel