Search Postgresql Archives

Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Can someone comment on this?

Looks like a horrible hack to me. Recoding stuff to the client encoding in the server outside the existing recoding mechanism looks pretty evil to me.

> Plus, it does not address the problem of what happens to
messages sent before this, it just moves the point of "before" a bit earlier for some special cases.

I think we have discussed more proper solutions earlier in this thread. IMO the best approach would be for the client to include the client encoding in the startup package.

??? My patch exactly references the client_encoding included in
 the startup message.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue