Search Postgresql Archives

Re: dict-xsyn converts word to synlist, what about backwards?

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Igor Katson wrote:

On my question about doing a first name search by it's synonyms, like

William Will Bill Billy
James Jim Jimmy

Oleg answered, that I can use dict_xsyn for that.

In the dict_xsyn manual, it is said that:
"This dictionary type replaces words with groups of their synonyms, and so makes it
possible to search for a word using any of its synonyms"

This means, that if the dictionary sees the name "William", it will replace it with "William Will Bill Billy", so that I can search with any of them.

But what if the parser sees the word "Billy"? I want it to do absolutely the same. If not, as far as I understand, I will make a default synonym dictionary with pairs like:

will william
bill william
billy william   etc.

Is there a way not to use this?

no, but you always can generate rules for that using other tools.

Thanks. Oleg, and what do you think about creating an xsyn dictionary like with e.g. a python script:
William Will Bill Billy
Will William Bill Billy
Bill William Will Billy
Billy William Will Bill ?