Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pet Peeves?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Reece Hart wrote:

* lack of auto-tuning or tuning tools (or perhaps my lack of awareness
of them?)

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtune/ aims to provide a tool for 8.4, that's working but still needs documentation and some loose ends cleaned up. Its suggestions aren't good yet for Windows systems yet, that's the biggest bug left in there.

That's aimed to automate the suggestions set out in http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

One day I'll make that work better with older versions too. It does basically the right thing for 8.3 already but could be smarter, it includes some parameters that aren't there in 8.2, and doesn't work at all on 8.1 or earlier.

If you step outside of just free solutions, Enterprise DB's commercial server product does more complicated autotuning via their DynaTune feature.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD