Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PGSQL or other DB?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, durumdara wrote:

- quick (re)connect - because mod_python basically not store the database connections persistently

If this turns out to be a problem, you may want to use some sort of connection pooling software in order to reduce this overhead. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling#Connection_Pooling_and_Acceleration gives a quick intro to this topic with links to some good solutions here.

This "one datadir" is seems to be not too good for us. We used DBISAM in our clients, and many times when we got some filesystem error, we can simply recover the tables - from the files.

It's quite easy for ISAM solutions to get corrupted. Barring a bad hardware failure, this shouldn't ever happen to a PostgreSQL database. The write-ahead log implementation nevers leaves you in a state where the database can't recover itself after a crash or filesystem error. You should consider this a positive thing--this whole class of problems that you think you need a solution to, needing to fix corrupted database files regularly, shouldn't ever happen in a proper database implementation.

The first two sections of http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/wal.html give a good introduction to this topic.

Rolling back to a backup should only be necessary after a serious hardware disaster--the sort of situation where it's unlikely you'll be able to trust any of your individual tables even if you had the option of repairing them one at a time.

I tried the MySQL before I tried PG. InnoDB is seems to be "forcing transaction system on MyISAM". And boolean data type is missing (solved with enum?). I don't like it all, but it is seems to be fast with little tables, and it is separate the database files to another directories which thing I like. Possible it have many limitations what I don't saw in first time.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL:_Comparing_Reliability_and_Speed_in_2007 has a lot of commentary in this area. MySQL+MyISAM will have the same sort of problems you should be trying to escape. MySQL+InnoDB would be much better. In addition to missing features, the other thing you should be careful about is making speed measurements with a low client count--make sure you evaluate any database you're considering with a many clients going at once as you can simulate.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD