Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PGSQL or other DB?

> > This "one datadir" is seems to be not too good for us. We used DBISAM
> > in our clients, and many times when we got some filesystem error, we
> > can simply recover the tables - from the files.

pg_dump files with the custom format can be used to selectively restore
tables. It's really easy and a lot more reliable than filesystem level
backups - which require snapshotting or shutting down the database or
in-database support to get clean backups of.

> > I very fear from to keep all databases in one place, because if they
> > are corrupted, possible more of them injured (if they are not
> > separated). I cannot make filesystem based (hard) copy from one db
> > (only SQL dump enabled).

If you consistently have hardware problems that cause filesystem corruption,
you should probably consider fixing that before worrying too much about
which software is on top of it being corrupted.

And, honestly, if keeping all the files in once place is a major problem for
you, then don't use PostgreSQL. It's not like it's going to be changed in
this regard.

--
Alan