Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pet Peeves?

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Gregory Stark wrote:

Steve Atkins <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

6. Where's my CPAN equivalent? Postgresql is extensible, but it's hard to find the extension you need, and often harder than it should be to install.

FWIW our CPAN equivalent is pgfoundry. I don't think we quite have the
critical mass yet that Perl has to really make it a big success though.

Kinda. It's much more like a freshmeat/sourceforge equivalent than a
CPAN equivalent. There's no standard package format, no dependency
or version handling, no possibility of automated installation.

It also has a mixture of postgresql modules, client-side code that can
access postgresql and even occasional projects that have nothing much
to do with postgresql.

Making modules more, uh, modular, so they can be installed and uninstalled smoothly and preferably without special access privileges is a recognized
issue though.

Yup, that's one prerequisite for the rest of it, really. pgTap, which we have
now, was probably another.

Cheers,
  Steve