Search Postgresql Archives

Re: New 8.4 hot standby feature

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 12:53 -0500, Gabi Julien wrote:
> I have merged the last hot standby patch (v9g) to 8.4 devel and I am pleased
> with the experience. This is promising stuff. Perhaps it is a bit too soon to
> ask questions here but here it is:
>
> 1. Speed of recovery
>
> With a archive_timeout of 60 seconds, it can take about 4 minutes before I see
> the reflected changes in the replica. This is normal since, in addition to
> the WAL log shipping, it takes more time to do the recovery itself. Still, is
> there any way besides the archive_timeout config option to speed up the
> recovery of WAL logs on the hot standby?

Is the recovery itself the bottleneck?

There's a performance improvement submitted here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/a778a7260810280033n43f70d36x8c437eacf9a5461e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But I haven't been following the development of it closely, so you'll
have to read the thread to see whether it will meet your needs or not.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis