Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What is the best plan to upgrade PostgreSQL from an ancient version?

Tom Lane wrote:
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
My notion is to do a character mode database dump as SQL statements and
then load into the new version by execution of psql against the sql
STATEMENTS.
What are the "gotchas" we can expect with this approach?
When I say 'ancient' I mean v7.1.3 and the target is v8.3.5.

Yoi, that is a long way.  As already noted, you should use the 8.3
version of pg_dump to pull the data from the old server; this should
smooth some of the bumps, but there will be more.

It's also worth thinking about doing a schema-only dump and get the schema loading into the new database. Once that's working fine, you can do a data-only dump and restore that into the already-loaded schema.

If you dump the data with -Fc you can do table-by-table restores under your own control, which may be helpful in case of load ordering problems related to foreign key constraints.

--
Craig Ringer