Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using null or not null in function arguments

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
On 23/01/2009 11:16, Igor Katson wrote:

How do I write a function without complex logic, which will do:
a) If the input argument is NULL, then the corresponding select
statement will change from

column = arg
column IS NULL

You could build your statement dynamically as a string, then execute it
using EXECUTE:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

b) If the input argument is NULL, then the corresponding select
statement will be removed, so if it was not written.

Likewise - something like

  if i_city_id is null then
    ... build statement...
    ... execute statement ...
  end if;

HTH,

Ray.
Thanks, Ray, but I see now, that I didn't explain the exact problem correctly. The one is, that this kind of functions (search ones) can have tens of arguments, and the more the amount of arguments is, the more combinations of IF ... THEN conditionals will be present to build the logic. If I have a couple of them, this can be easily handled through IF THEN, or dynamic statements, but what if I have tens of 'em?