Search Postgresql Archives

Re: HTML email (was Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs

On Jan 15, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jason Long
<mailing.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve Atkins wrote:

I'm sure none of that other than the last actually applies to you, but
those are
the expectations you set by using HTML email and then insulting all
the list members when someone asks you to stop. That's not the way to get
useful help from a technical peer support list.

Fair enough and I had no intention of insulting anyone. Being anal is not
necessarily a bad thing. :)

I certainly wasn't offended.  It seemed like an honest question.

I wasn't either. But while this is a less prickly environment than some
technical mailing lists, it's still pretty prickly, and there's a risk some people
were offended by being described as anal (even if, or perhaps especially
when, it's an accurate description :) ).

I find HTML mail quite useful when I know that all the recipients can
read it - but it tends to harm communication when some of the recipients
can't. In the latter case I find plain text mail, possibly with attached
diagrams or embedded URLs to web docs more useful than inline
HTML. That's technical mailing lists, pretty much.

Cheers,
  Steve