Search Postgresql Archives

Re: MD5 password issue

Hi Tom,

Tom Lane schrieb:
Andreas Wenk <a.wenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
In pg_hba.conf we have:

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               ident sameuser

# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
host    all         all         192.168.97.0/24       md5

Now the question: why is the user pgadmin able to connect to the database using pgAdmin
III from 192.168.97.30? That sould not be possible ... or am I wrong?

Why shouldn't it be possible?  You've specifically allowed connections
from that IP range.

Yes thats correct with the IP address range. Maybe I did not understand the auth concept yet. I thought, that with METHOD set to md5, a md5 hashed password is required. The password is submitted with the PHP 5 pg_connect function - as plain text.

(If you're wondering why he didn't have to type his password,
it's likely because pgAdmin is getting it out of ~/.pgpass or
some private settings file.)

> 			regards, tom lane

Also to Peter. It is like that - the pasword is stored in ~/.pgpass as expected.

So maybe the better question is: what is the difference between METHOD password and md5? As I assume now because of your answers, it has nothing to do with either the password is md5 hashed or not?

Thanks to everybody!

cheers

Andy

--