Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Indexing columns with low cardinality: persistentbitmap indexes?

Here is an interesting experiment:

Application of Bitmap Index to Information Retrieval. K. Fujioka, Y. Uematsu, and M. Onizuka. WWW 2008
Source: [ACM]
Synopsis: This paper proposes a hierarchical structure called HS-bitmap index to represent document-term matrix. The authors implemented their data structure on PostgreSQL and observed it to perform better than an inverted index. A short-coming might be that HS-bitmap index takes more space than the inverted index even after compression.
Note this work makes use of PostgreSQL but is unrelated to the on-going work of implementing bitmap index in PostgreSQL.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1367497.1367680

Here is the research page where I found the above:
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~kewu/annotated.html