Search Postgresql Archives

Re: RCA for MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size(Known Issue)

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 06:07:02AM -0800, yogvinder wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am having multiple postgresql 7.3(pretty old version now) on rhel4
> servers.

Not just "pretty old," but past any community support.  You'll need to
build and implement an upgrade strategy along with doing your upgrade.

> I am getting the error MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size on
> many of these servers from time to time.
>
> On crawling through net, I have found that its because of some bad
> word value in a variable length field which implies database
> corruption. A possible solution to recover database is by deleting
> the corrupted row and then continuing till all the bad rows are
> deleted.
>
> My Queries: 1) What is the root cause? Why database is getting
> corrupted.

The root cause is that whoever was responsible for this cluster failed
to upgrade to a supported version.  Don't Do That Again :)

Cheers,
David.
--
David Fetter <david@xxxxxxxxxx> http://fetter.org/