Search Postgresql Archives

Re: problems with special characters

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Karina Guardado <kguardado@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> I have a problem I have created a database with encoding SQL_ASCII and when> I insert the data using a terminal in linux and insert the data for example> Insert into mytable values(1,'Eléctrico'); it works fine but if I try to> copy this data from a text file doing \copy mytable from textfile, it insert> the data but instead of é writes a ? and I don't have any idea how to copy> the data without this problem.
>From the horse's mouth:
"The SQL_ASCII setting behaves considerably differently from the othersettings. When the server character set is SQL_ASCII, the serverinterprets byte values 0-127 according to the ASCII standard, whilebyte values 128-255 are taken as uninterpreted characters. No encodingconversion will be done when the setting is SQL_ASCII. Thus, thissetting is not so much a declaration that a specific encoding is inuse, as a declaration of ignorance about the encoding. In most cases,if you are working with any non-ASCII data, it is unwise to use theSQL_ASCII setting, because PostgreSQL will be unable to help you byconverting or validating non-ASCII characters."
Source: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/multibyte.html
In other words, use a server encoding that works with your set ofnon-ASCII characters.
Good luck.