Search Postgresql Archives

Re: mail list traffic

	Alvaro Herrera wrote:

When I saw the manitou-mail.org stuff some days ago I was curious
-- how feasible would it be to host our web archives using a
database of some sort, instead of the current mbox-based Mhonarc
installation we use, which is so full of problems and limitations?

One problem I've noticed on archives.postgresql.org is that threads don't cross month boundaries.
For example if I'm looking at:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-09/msg01003.php ,
according to the webpage, this message doesn't has references nor follow-up.
But actually it's a reply to this one:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-05/msg00404.php
and it has this followup:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-10/msg00466.php

In fact it looks like all threads are cut at the end of each month, and that everything is partitioned by month anyway. I guess it's because mhonarc operates only on the current month by design, which makes sense if its storage doesn't scale.

What manitou-mail could provide here is the database structure and the scripts that feed the live archive, and it wouldn't have these limitations of mhonarc. As a bonus, it opens up the data to SQL interfaces, so you can think of querying messages using complex criteria, or producing statistics, reports... But it doesn't provide the generation of webpages that is after all the whole point of this web archive. I assume that the idea is to generate everything in static pages like mhonarc seems to do rather than live-querying the database. Anyway that HTML generation part would need to be recreated or changed to deal with a different "data source" and a different partitioning of data, if it's modular enough that such a thing is possible. How hard would that be? Personally I have no idea, anyone who is familiar with that code?

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org