Search Postgresql Archives

Re: referring to a different database from a trigger

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM, ries van Twisk <pg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note that there are no built in transactional symantics in such
situations.  You got to roll your own.  And they may not work.

Yeah, that was what I was hoping for.

ie:(query between databases)

SELECT db_one.table_one.column_name_one, db_two.table_oranges.column_fluff FROM db_one.table_one, db_two.table_oranges WHERE db_one.table_one.some_id=db_two.table_oranges.raisin_id;

<sigh> Oh well!, I'll just do it in code I guess....

I can see where the difficulties lay in this.
It would require a pipeline between the two databases
allowing one of them to share tables, difficult if there
are common oids pointing to completely different objects.
Oids/schemas would need to be aliased in some way to give them
pseudo-representation in the destination database.