Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FreeBSD 7 needing to allocate lots of shared memory

Hi Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:
I'm wondering about the shmall setting myself.  The Postgres docs
suggest that FreeBSD measures shmall in pages.  If so, the above
setting is far too large and is perhaps resulting in an internal
overflow in the kernel.
Hmm, might be.. I can try lowering the value, but if this is the problem what is max?
(For that matter, are you certain that shmmax can be set beyond
2G either?  It might only be int inside the kernel.)
I'm not at all a freeBSD expert... We just happen to use this because anything else just won't work with our disk controller (don't ask).

Kind regards,

Christiaan Willemsen