Search Postgresql Archives

row locking question

Hi,
  I have experimented with PostgreSQL's table locking and FOR UPDATE
capabilities. But what I'm looking for is a row level lock specific to
only a set of rows, not the entire table.

For example, there is a table with many rows. Threads are doing
"SELECTS" to read some rows. They should be allowed to get results on
rows that are not currently locked by another thread's SELECT,FOR UPDATE
or equivalent read lock for those rows only.

Does PostgreSQL have a mechanism for this?

thank you.
Darren