Search Postgresql Archives

List Ettiquette (perhaps Off Topic by now) was: Re: Database access over the Internet...

Steve Atkins wrote:

On Nov 16, 2008, at 2:41 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:

Am 2008-11-15 09:53:15, schrieb Scott Marlowe:
What's mess up is that the solution given the user DOES work.  She
just refuses to try it, because she assumes that the mailing list
server doesn't see the exact same CC list as her email server.  Well,
it does, and it then drops the message outbound for her so she ONLY
gets it from the original sender.

You did not understand the problem!!!!!!!!

My Mailbox which I use for my business is bombed by  over  50.000  spams
per day and I do already heavy filtering.  I have to read my mail  while
I am @work which mean, MOBILE using my cellphone connected to my Laptop.

Since I read the List ove another channel AND already filtering  my  own
threads (and convert it into a form which is much smaller then  E-Mails)
to get rid of the rest from the list since I am subscribed to  over  120
mailinglists and need less then 3% from it...

So, peoples now sending me PMs does not help, since it DoS my system and
make it harder for me to work since I have to walk through this messages
I do not need because I have it already seen.

Well, go away then.

If you are too cheap to receive emails in answer to your questions,
stop asking questions.

This is not a support channel you should consider using until you
learn enough courtesy and basic competence with email to interact
in public.

Cheers,
  Steve

I don't think that what Michelle is asking is unreasonable. While certainly not a universal "standard" a significant subset of mailing lists definitely support the view that personal replies are unneccessary (and many lists forbid/discourage them).

I also think (based on what I've read from Michelle here and on other lists) that it'd be a drag to lose the participation of someone who has often contributed interesting viewpoints/information to technical discussions.

In my view, anything that causes people to check more closely about exactly where a reply is being sent is a good thing.

	be well,
		~c